In 2019, the use of dark mode in applications was at an all-time high. Nearly every other software developer concentrated on bringing dark mode to their applications. Slipping into the shadows became much easier with releasing system-wide dark themes for Android and iOS. However, if there is one app that defied industry convention, it has to be Snapchat. Many people use Snap Streaks to keep up with contacts, and the photo-centric messaging system finally added dark mode to iOS early this year, with Android compatibility coming shortly.
Today, we’ll walk you through the steps to enable Snapchat’s dark mode.
The dark theme is enabled or disabled natively in the Snapchat app for iPhone; however, it is not available in the Android version. Many Android users have been asking how to enable dark mode in Snapchat on their devices for a long time. And you’ve arrived at the correct place. On your Android phone, we’ve included a handy workaround for enabling dark themes in Snapchat. Let’s get started without further ado.
Enable Dark Mode On The Snapchat iOS App
When creators add dark mode to their iPhone applications, they immediately include a qualifier that allows them to use the dark iOS theme. To use dark mode on Snapchat for iPhone, follow the instructions below.
- On your iPhone, open the Snapchat app.
- At the top, select the account picture.
- Select the cog for the settings.
- Scroll down to App Appearance from the My Account menu.
- Select Always Dark.
The dark mode will be used across the Snapchat app. While surfing the past app at midnight, your eyes will not be strained. But how about in the morning hours? Snapchat will always be in dark mode if you use the Always Dark option. Therefore, we recommend utilizing the Match System option to match the app’s appearance to iOS dark/light mode.
- On your iPhone, open Snapchat.
- Select Settings from your profile.
- Select Match System from the App Appearance menu.
- Snapchat will now adopt the iOS theme and update its appearance to match.
Automate Snapchat Theme on iPhone
There’s a way to instantly activate and deactivate dark mode on Snapchat on iPhone using a technique. You can use iOS to manage the dark theme. Depending on the timing, iOS will flip between dark and bright themes. The app will use the iOS theme since you chose Match System in the Snapchat look menu.
- Open the iPhone’s Settings app.
- Go to the Display & Brightness section of the menu.
- Select the Options option after enabling the Automatic toggle.
- Choose whether you want to use the iOS light theme in the daytime or the late evening, and the dark theme will be enabled automatically.
When the dark iOS theme comes in at night, Snapchat will change its look. In the morning, it will return to the bright theme.
Enable Dark Mode On Snapchat For Android
On Android, Snapchat has still not included support for dark mode. At the moment, the functionality is only available in the beta version. The Snapchat public beta testing group for Android is currently filled, and the business is not accepting new members.
However, there is a solution. By tweaking the developer settings menu, you can enforce a dark look for the phone’s installed applications, including Snapchat. Allow us to demonstrate.
- To access the notification center, swipe down.
- Select the Settings to gear from the drop-down menu.
- To go to the About phone menu, go to the bottom of the page.
- Find the Build number at the bottom of the page. Enable Developer Mode on your Android phone by tapping it five to six times.
- Return to the Settings menu and look for the Developer options there. Toggle the switch on.
- Look for the option for Hardware-Accelerated Rendering. Toggle the Override force-dark toggle to on.
All apps will be forced to have a dark theme by the OS. To see Snapchat in dark mode, open it.
However, you won’t notice the difference if you’ve upgraded Snapchat to the most recent version. We have a solution, but it requires downloading an APK file from a third-party source. So proceed cautiously.
- Visit APKmirror to obtain the Snapchat APK file.
- You must remove the current Snapchat app on your phone before downloading the APK file.
With an outdated Snapchat build, Android will not override the existing app. Open the app once you’ve deleted the old one and installed the new one.
Android OS will override the dark setting in Snapchat. Some new features, such as Maps, will be incompatible with older versions of the program. As a result of Snapchat’s mandated dark tone, several UI components may be broken.
Use a 3rd Party App with Rooted Privileges.
If none of the options above allow an Android user to use Snapchat in dark mode, a third-party app with root access may be able to help. We advise consumers against rooting their phones, but the decision is ultimately theirs.
- Preferences Manager can be downloaded and installed on a rooted Android phone from the Play Store.
- Now open Preferences Manager and choose Snapchat from the app’s home screen.
- Then double-click APP START EXPERIMENT PREFS.xml to open it.
- Then locate the Dark Mode flag and activate it.
- Now open Snapchat, and it’ll be in dark mode.
- There is a slew of additional programs that can enable dark mode on Snapchat on rooted Android phones, but here’s a rundown of the most well-known:
- Swift Black
- Swift Dark
- Swift Installer
- Hex Installer
Although it has been claimed that the dark mode of the Snapchat app for Android has been in development for some time, no release date for the feature has been disclosed.
Enjoy Snapchat At Night
In 2022, Snapchat is one of the few prominent social media applications that does not support dark themes for Android. While we believe the company will improve next year, we hope this guide has given you an introductory experience of the function. If you want to activate dark mode in additional popular applications, see our detailed guide to enabling dark mode everywhere.